Mrs Cotter's English page
This half term we will be developing our skills in creating suspense and tension through writing mystery stories. We will be using sentence length and vocabulary to change the effect of our writing on the reader and applying all our narrative writing techniques to create an exciting mystery!
We will be watching a short film called 'Roads End' to inspire us and recreating the strange tale in our own ways.
Try reading some of these amazing mystery stories to inspire you:
- I Know What You Did Last Wednesday - Anthony Horowitz
- Holes - Louis Sachar
- Pig Heart Boy - Malorie Blackman
- Hacker - Malorie Blackman
- The Magician’s House Quartet - William Corlett
- Secret of Platform 13 - Eva Ibbotson
- Dial a Ghost - Eva Ibbotson
- The Ghost of Thomas Kempe - Penelope Lively
- A Stitch in Time - Penelope Lively
- Goosebumps Series - R. L. Stine
- Room 13 - Robert Swindells
This week's spelling pattern is looking at nouns that are turned into verbs by adding the suffix 'ate'
Bonus words for those on Gold:
Test date: Friday 22nd March
Bronze - practise spellings 1-8.
Silver - practise spellings 1-10.
Gold - practise spellings 1-12.
We will have our spelling test each Friday.