Welcome to Year 5
Hello and welcome to Year 5!
Autumn Term is a wonderful time for ‘new beginnings’; we work hard in Year 5 to ensure that you settle quickly, build upon prior learning and seize the wonderful opportunities that lie ahead. We have an exciting year lined up for you beginning with our deep dive into our first learning challenge: What made the unsinkable ship sink?
We can't wait to learn all about the titanic, how it was built, the route the maiden voyage took, the timeline of events leading up to the ship sinking and lots more.
Ways that you can keep organised to give you the best possible start:
- Avoid lost property by making sure ALL your possessions – especially coats, jumpers and PE uniform - are marked with your name.
- Ensure you have your planners with you every day.
- Read to an adult or sibling 15 minutes daily if possible. Please record what you read in your planner.
- Practise maths skills in an enjoyable and informal way – e.g. number games, TT Rockstars, Hit the button, mental arithmetic, table facts and maybe even practically!
- Practice weekly spellings which can be found in your planners.
- Complete homework to a high standard - as independently as possible.
Spellings: The children will be given a copy of their spellings each week which will be stuck in their planners.
Times tables: We will be practicing our times tables to 12 x 12. These will be key to supporting our maths skills in year 5. Please check the Year group page for more information and MyMaths homework links.
Planners checked: Planners will be checked every Friday. Children will need to have their planners with them everyday.
Note to parents:
We endeavour to ensure effective communication between parents and ourselves; working closely with you helps to support your child. Should you have any queries or messages please send a note in your child’s planner or e-mail the class teacher (see child’s planner). Class teachers are happy to speak with parents after school.
If a message is urgent or you wish to make an appointment, then please contact the school office.
Wednesday 11th September - Individual photos
Friday 20th September - Jeans4Genes day
Tuesday 15th October & Wednesday 16th October - Open Evenings
Friday 25th October - INSET Day