Equality & Diversity
Equality & Diversity
At Sawley Junior School we believe that everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. Respect for All underpins our school vision and ethos.
We are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity in line with the Equality Act of October 2010. This Act prohibits direct and indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation of people on the grounds of protected characteristics these being disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation and age.
We seek to show this through all aspects of school life and in particular through our commitment to every child fulfilling their potential through classroom based learning, outdoor learning, pastoral care, intervention groups, work in the local and wider community and our recruitment and retention of staff.
All our staff are committed to ensuring that all pupils are challenged to achieve their potential and will also guide parents on how they can support their children’s achievements. Where pupils experience barriers to learning, we will work with them to address these in a sensitive and supportive way. We will ensure that all pupils understand the importance of equality and foster within our pupils their own commitment to promoting equality.
We will have due regard in the day to day policies and practice of our school for the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination
- Advance equality of opportunity
- Foster good relations between people from different groups
Willows Academy Trust Equality Objectives
- To narrow the gap between pupils from low/non-income families and those of their peers.
- To ensure curriculum provision meets the needs of all children including those with SEND.
- Protect against prejudice and increase an understanding of equality through direct teaching across the curriculum.
- To ensure all staff, volunteers, governors and directors are aware of current legislation surrounding equality and diversity and understand their responsibilities within this legislation.