Welcome to Year 4
Hello everyone and welcome to Year 4! Please check the website and our class dojo pages to keep up to date with all of our Year 4 news!
Most of our children have now completed their STAR test on Accelerated Reader which will give them a book band so they can choose books which are appropriate to their reading level. Your child will also be issued with a reading record for you to fill in to keep track of books that have been read both at home and at school. The reading record will also show books that have been returned to school. Please ensure your child brings their reading book and record into school everyday to allow us to read with them and monitor their progress. Once children have finished their book, they complete an online quiz using Accelerated Reader which shows their understanding of what they have read.
Children are given spellings each week. These can be also be found on your Class Dojo page. Please ensure that your child learns these spellings as they will be tested every Monday. At the end of the 4 sets of spellings, there will be a spelling test covering the previous weeks to ensure children have retained these spelling rules.
Children will work hard to learn their times tables this year as we have our Times Tables test at the end of the year. We will be spending lots of times practicing using times tables squares, TT Rockstars and rhymes and songs. Year 4 should all have their Times Tables Rockstars login to enable them to play games and learn multiplication and division facts in a fun way. You can also try 'Hit The Button' on TopMark where no login is needed.
Please make sure that your child comes to school ready in their PE kit on these days. PE Kit is their Owl house t-shirt; shorts/leggings/joggers; trainers. Earrings and jewellery must be removed during PE lessons. If your child is unable to remove their own earrings then please cover these with tape. Providing your child with a water bottle will allow your child to stay hydrated as they enjoy their PE lesson.
Here are some ways that you can help your child keep organised and excel in their learning at school:
- Avoid lost property by making sure ALL their possessions – especially coats, jumpers and PE uniform - are marked with their name.
- Encourage your child’s growing independence by letting them begin to organise what they need each day for school. This is especially important now as it is the final term of Year 4!
- Listen to your child read for 15 minutes daily if possible; and ask them about their books.
- Practise maths skills in an enjoyable and informal way – e.g. number games, mental arithmetic, table facts and maybe even practically!
- Encourage and support them to complete their Homework Challenges to a high standard - as independently as possible. (Please ask your child’s teacher for any resources or support you may need.) Post any completed work to their Classdojo portfolio for feedback.
PE (see timetable)
Children should arrive in PE kits on the days they have PE. PE will be done outdoors where possible.
- PE t-shirt with school jumper over;
- PE shorts with joggers over (can be removed easily if we do PE indoors)
- Trainers (trainers are preferable for outdoor PE and also suitable for indoors if necessary. Plimsolls are not suitable for all day wear.)
Other important information:
Spellings: The children will be given a copy of spellings each week. They will be tested each Monday. Spellings will also be added to SpellingShed.
Times tables: We will be practicing our times tables to 12 x 12. These will be key to successfully developing our maths skills. TT rockstars is a useful tool in this practise and will help prepare the children for their timestable assessment later in the year. Please check the Maths pages for more information and MyMaths homework links.
How to contact us:
If you wish to raise a concern/issue with school your child's class teacher is always the first person to contact, these are the staff that know your child best.
Please message the class teacher via Class Dojo. The class teacher will respond as soon as possible. You can also request a telephone appointment with the class teacher via ClassDojo. Telephone appointments are usually at the end of the school day.
Teachers will check ClassDojo at least every other day. If your message is urgent, please telephone the school office.