Welcome to Year 3
Welcome to Year 3!
Please use the website and Class Dojo pages to keep up to date with all of the exciting things that happen in Year 3!
Please see our 'What We Are Learning' page to find out more.
All children will shortly have completed a reading test to enable them to select an appropriate reading book for their level. Your child will also be issued with a reading record for you to fill in to keep track of books that have been read both at home and at school. The reading record will also show books that have been returned to school. Please ensure your child brings their reading book and record into school everyday to allow us to read with them and monitor their progress. Once children have finished their book, they complete an online quiz using Accelerated Reader which shows their understanding of what they have read.
Children are given spellings each week. These can be also be found on your Class Dojo page. Please ensure that your child learns these spellings as they will be tested every Monday. At the end of the 4 sets of spellings, there will be a spelling test covering the previous weeks to ensure children have retained these spelling rules.
Children will work hard to learn their times tables this year. All children in Year 3 will shortly be given a Times Tables Rockstars login to enable them to play games and learn multiplication and division facts in a fun way. You can also try 'Hit The Button' where no login is needed.
Tuesday: 3R and 3SW
Friday: 3R and 3W
Please make sure that your child comes to school ready in their PE kit on these days. PE Kit is their Owl house t-shirt; shorts/leggings/joggers; trainers. Earrings and jewellery must be removed during PE lessons. If your child is unable to remove their own earrings then please cover these with tape. Providing your child with a water bottle will allow your child to stay hydrated as they enjoy their PE lesson.
Here are some ways that you can help your child keep organised and excel in their learning at school:
- Avoid lost property by making sure ALL their possessions – especially coats, jumpers and PE uniform - are marked with their name.
- Encourage your child’s growing independence by letting them begin to organise what they need each day for school.
- Listen to your child read for 15 minutes daily if possible; and ask them about their books.
- Practise maths skills in an enjoyable and informal way – e.g. number games, mental arithmetic, table facts and maybe even practically!
- Encourage and support them to complete their Homework Challenges to a high standard - as independently as possible. (Please ask your child’s teacher for any resources or support you may need.) Post any completed work to their Class Dojo portfolio for feedback.