Welcome to Year 6
Autumn 1 Begins!
A huge welcome back to you all! We are ready to start a fantastic term! Our learning challenge title is "Would you have survived Victorian Britain?" - we'll really focus on the living conditions, especially for children and also the huge industrial changes that occurred in that time period. Here are some of the other subjects we will be looking at:
English: we will link to Oliver Twist, a famous story written based on a street child in that time period. We will also be reading Street Child as a class.
Maths: We will focus on reminding ourselves of place value and the four operations
Science: Light up your world - focusing on light.
IT: Online safety
PE: Dance and invasion games skills.
PHSE & RE: Sikhism
Trying Our Best and Aiming High
Autumn Term is a busy time of new experiences as the children settle into Y6 life. Here are some ways that you can help your child keep organised and excel in their learning at school:
- Avoid lost property by making sure ALL their possessions – especially coats, jumpers and bags - are marked with their name.
- Encourage your child’s growing independence by letting them begin to organise what they need each day for school.
- Listen to your child read for 15 minutes daily if possible; and ask them about their books. Please record what you read in their planner.
- Practise maths skills in an enjoyable and informal way – e.g. TT Rockstars, MyMaths, number games, mental arithmetic, table facts and maybe even practically!
- Encourage and support them to complete their Homework Challenges to a high standard - as independently as possible. (Please ask your child’s teacher for any resources or support you may need.) Post any completed work to their Classdojo portfolio for feedback.
PE (see Classdojo for )
Children should arrive in PE kits on the days they have PE. PE will be done outdoors where possible.
- PE t-shirt with school jumper over;
- PE shorts with joggers over (can be removed easily if we do PE indoors)
- Trainers (trainers are preferable for outdoor PE and also suitable for indoors if necessary. Plimsolls are not suitable for all day wear.)
How to contact us:
If you wish to raise a concern/issue with school your child's class teacher is always the first person to contact, these are the staff that know your child best.
Please message the class teacher via Class Dojo. The class teacher will respond as soon as possible. You can also request a telephone appointment with the class teacher via ClassDojo. Telephone appointments are usually at the end of the school day.
Teachers will check ClassDojo at least every other day. If your message is urgent, please telephone the school office.